Celebrating this taco Tuesday the right way! Went all out preparing and cooking FOUR DIFFERENT tacos today!
This was part of a challenge that I had to post, so was quite tight on timings and had to work with specific ingredients, some of which I would’ve liked to maybe change.. will talk about that later 😉
The tacos you’re seeing here are: shredded bbq beef (my personal favorite), fried chicken, honey Dijon roasted beef & Mexican chicken tinga (which we can consider a shredded chicken taco as I sort of winged this one because I simply didn’t have all the ingredients).
Here are the recipes!
Shredded BBQ beef
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1medium sized beef fillet piece (makes 1-2 tacos)
- 1 garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp steak sauce (or Worcester sauce)
- Salt & pepperto taste
- Heat oil in an oven-safe nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the uncooked beef fillet and sear on all the sides. You’ll notice color changes super fast, so don’t leave too long on each side.
- Add in the garlic and onion and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the BBQ sauce, salt, pepper and steak/Worcester sauce; mix everything together until it’s all combined and beef fillet is fully coated.
- Cover and cook in the oven at 170°C for 1 hour, making sure to mix everything together halfway through the baking.
- Let beef rest for a few minutes, then shred with 2 forks. Pour some of the sauce from the pan on it after shredding!
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- Oil for frying
- Cut chicken breasts into long tenders, lightly season with salt & pepper.
- Prepare 3 bowls (as your breading station), one with the flour, one with the breadcrumbs mixed with salt, chili powder & garlic powder, and last one with the beaten egg1.
- Dip each chicken slice into the flour, then the egg, and finally in the breadcrumb mix, making sure that all sides are well coated.
- Let rest on a wire rack as the oil heats up.
- Start frying your chicken tenders in batches (until golden brown).
Honey Dijon roasted beef
- 1 medium beef fillet piece
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp dry/fresh thyme
- 1/2 onion sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place sliced onions in as a base in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together Dijon mustard, honey, and thyme.
- Season beef with salt & pepper on all sides, and place on sliced onions in the baking dish.
- Brush half of the honey & mustard mixture all over the beef.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes (don’t let the foil touch the beef).
- Uncover then brush with the remaining honey & mustard mixture.
- Broil for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Shredded chicken (Mexican Tinga)
Disclaimer: This is NOT the traditional Mexican tinga recipe, however, it is sort of my twist on it. Using easy & more attainable ingredients.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 onion, diced (divide into 2 bowls)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp peppercorns (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
Place chicken breast with 1/2 of diced onions, smashed garlic cloves, bay leaf, salt, peppercorns, and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, removing anything that floats to the surface.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from pot and allow to cool. Then shred with 2 forks.
- Remove the bay leaf and peppercorns, keeping the now softened onions, garlic and chicken broth.
- In a blender, combine tomato purée, softened onions, garlic, and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining diced onions and cook until softened.
- Add blended tomato sauce, vinegar, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix in shredded chicken and continue to cook for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Here’s one final shot of all tacos together 🙂 All the recipes make 1-2 tacos, so feel free to multiply if you’re making more 😉
As always your feedback is appreciated! Let me know if you make any of these!