You know how we sometimes just want to eat the fries on the side of a big dinner table or part of a 5 course meal? Well, today I’m dedicating this entire post to all the sides we take for granted, by making some of my favorites for dinner today! And the only rule is, they have to be DEEP FRIED!
There’s another reason this Fryday post is so special, as it’s also my farewell post as a Coca Cola brand ambassador. And I’m going all out with this one, starting from the grocery shopping I specially did, cutting, marinating & prepping almost everything a day ahead, just to make this appetizer platter taste as good as it looks in those pictures 🙂
So my platter included sweet potato chips, panko chicken tenders, fried mushrooms, cheese fries, onion rings & buttermilk fried wings! I’ll be sharing the batter I used for each item, some of which I re-purposed for more than one.
- 16 mushrooms (I used one pack)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Salt for seasoning
- Remove stems from mushrooms, add some salt & set aside.
- In 3 separate bowls put the following: flour, dry thyme, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Second bowl: eggs beat with milk. Third container: breadcrumbs.
- Start coating your mushrooms with the following sequence: flour mixture (coat well & shake well to remove any excess flour, transfer to the egg mixture and shake again to drain any clumps, and finally toss in the breadcrumbs bowl until coated well.
- Place the coated mushrooms on a clean plate until you’re done with all mushrooms.
- Pour enough oil into your pan to properly coat the mushrooms when placed in the pan (it IS deep frying after all)
- Once the oil is hot & sizzly (I test it with a drop of water), add the mushrooms in small batches, and fry for a few minutes till they’re golden brown. Flip to make sure they’re fried on the inside too.
Deep Fried Chicken Wings:
- 10-12 chicken wings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- Wash the wings and dry with a kitchen.
- Prepare three separate bowls. First bowl: combine buttermilk, eggs, paprika, sriracha, salt and pepper. In second bowl: pour the baking powder and add in the wet ingredients from the first bowl. Third bowl, pour the flour.
- Start coating the wings with this sequence. Put in flour (coat well), then into the buttermilk mix, and then back into the flour once more.
- Set wings aside, and if you have time, store in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before frying.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and cook wings on medium heat so that the wings cook through and crust doesn’t burn or overcook.
- Remove wings after frying them (golden brown) and place on a kitchen towel.
Sweet Potato Chips
- 2 large sweet potatoes (washed & peeled)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cut sweet potatoes into thin slices (according to chip size you prefer).
- Mix all spices in a bowl or slightly deep tray/dish.
- Dry the chips with kitchen towels.
- Start frying chips in batches once oil is hot.
- Keep frying for 4-5 minutes at a time, chips should start to darken in color and don’t worry if they shrink and curl up.
- Once chips are golden and crispy, transfer to a kitchen towel to dry out any excess oil.
- Toss chips in the spices mix, and shake to remove any excess spices.
Onions Rings: (you can use the same batter as the fried mushrooms)
- 1 large onion (or 2 medium onions)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs or breadcrumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- Slice up the onions into whole rings.
- In two separate bowls. First bowl: pour the buttermilk. In the second bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt & pepper.
- Pour the panko crumbs/breadcrumbs on a large plate.
- Dip the onions into the buttermilk, then into the flour mixture and finally in breadcrumbs.
- If you have time, cool the coated onion rings for a few hours/overnight.
- Heat oil & carefully place the coated onion rings to fry.
Panko Chicken Tenders:
- 1/2 kilo or 3 chicken breasts
- 2cupspanko bread crumb
- 2large eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked or regular paprikaDirections:
- Wash chicken breasts & pat to dry, cut them into strips.
- Season the chicken strips with salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika.
- In medium bowl, combine panko bread crumbs. And in another bowl, beat the eggs until smooth.
- In a frying pan, fill pan with oil & heat (but not super hot, so the chicken properly cooks through without burning the crust)
- Place the chicken strips in eggs, then in panko bread crumbs, making sure they’re well coated
- Fry the chicken till golden brown on both sides and until the chicken is fully cooked in the center.