Ever since I signed on as a Coca Cola brand ambassador, I’ve been trying to share some new ways I could incorporate Coke with my food! I came across this super easy (and DELICIOUS) recipe of chicken wings, that has a strong sweet & a bit of a spicy flavor, made with no other than Coca Cola!
With Egypt making it to this year’s World Cup at Russia (after 28 years), I thought this was make a great game snack, especially if you’re entertaining. The wings are also baked, which is technically healthier than breaded/fried ones. Here’s my take on the recipe I found by Always Order Dessert.
This recipe is for 1 kg of chicken wings, I used fresh ones that I had in my freezer. They don’t take much time to defrost, just run them under cold water till they’re nice & soft.
First thing you’ll need to do is separate the flat wings from the drumettes (small drumsticks).
Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C as you season the wings. And line a large baking sheet (or 2 medium ones) with aluminum oil.
Pat dry the wings with a kitchen paper towel.
Toss the wings in a bowl & season them with some olive oil, salt & pepper.
Start arranging your wings on the baking sheet, leaving 2cm around each piece. And bake for 50-60 minutes, broiling them for an additional 5-7 minutes for extra color & crispness.
Now that our wings are cooking, it’s time to start working on our SAUCE! Which includes garlic, tomato paste, brown sugar, hot sauce, paprika, salt & of course our key ingredient, COCA COLA!
Start by adding the Coke, garlic, tomato paste & brown sugar to a saucepan over high heat.
Once it starts boiling, add the hot sauce, paprika & salt and lower heat to a simmer till it’s nice & thick, for 5 minutes.
Pour your sauce in a bowl until the chicken is done baking.
Once done, start dipping each piece of chicken in the sauce using tongs and arranging them on the unused baking sheet you set aside in the beginning.
Lower the oven to 180 °C & put the wings back in the oven for 7 minuets for the sauce to totally sink in and give the wings that awesome glaze!
And serve with an ice cold Coca-Cola & some blue cheese or your choice of dip 😉
For the wings:
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
For the sauce:
- 3/4 cup of Coca Cola®
- 1/3 cup of Domino dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Heinz tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed & chopped
- 3 tbsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tbsp paprika from El Doha
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 200 °C
- Line a large (or 2 medium) baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Line another large baking sheet with aluminum foil, and set aside.
- Separate the chicken wings into flats & drumsticks (best to do so by finding the soft spot linking both, and smoothly cut it with a knife).
- Pat the wings dry with kitchen paper towels, and toss in a bowl with the olive oil, salt & pepper aka ‘wings ingredients listed above’.
- Arrange on the foil-lined baking sheets, leaving 2cm around each piece.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until cooked & golden brown, and broil for an additional 5-7 minutes for extra color & crispness.
- Add the Coke, brown sugar, tomato paste & garlic to a saucepan pan over high heat.
- Keep whisking, till sauce comes to a boil, then add the paprika, hot sauce & salt, and let simmer for about 5 minutes (till sauce thickens).
- Pour sauce in a bowl, and set aside till wings are out of the oven.
- Once the wings are out of the oven, dip each piece into the sauce bowl using tongs.
- Arrange the wings in the third baking sheet you had aside.
- Lower the heat to 180°C and bake for another 7 minutes for the sauce to stick and perfectly glaze the wings.
- Enjoy 🙂
Here’s a link to the original recipe as well.